b y Jim Emerson, staff writer
Taking a break from the campaign and posing for photo-ops with FEMA and other non-players in the recovery effort in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, while insisting that because of his leadership the entire country is behind the recovery efforts.(1) He wanted to show the country that he was taking charge and told the reporters on hand “There is nothing more important than us getting this right” Doing nothing is not getting it right and that is what this administration is doing while claiming success.
One reporter in a moment of clarity asked Mr. Obama about the fear, suffering, and frustrations of New Yorkers, especially Staten Island. He said nothing and left to resume campaigning in Ohio.
In lessons learned from Katrina FEMA adopted a policy of advanced staging for emergency distribution (6) and all of the martini sipping teacher’s lounge bureaucrats developed a plan. This plan was better than Katrina and like all Ivory tower bureaucratic plans it failed. FEMA didn’t have the supplies do deal with the scope of damage caused by Sandy; they had to break down and requested bids for supplies from the private sector. (Ayn Rand has to be laughing out loud from the grave.) Such failure during a political campaign doesn’t present “good optics.” (4)
Shut up and do something
In trying to inject some common sense in the nightmare of Post Sandy recovery, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal urged the White House and State officials to stop giving speeches and do something, declaring victory while doing nothing will not help the victims of the storm.
They need help, not posturing, government cannot provide security by shutting out the Nation Guard, government cannot feed people with cookies and hot cocoa, and government cannot provide water when they run out. (5) The unions aren’t helping matters by turning away electrical workers from southern states that are far more experienced in hurricane recovery than that the union thugs of New Jersey and New York.
FEMA learned a lesson from the handling of the Gulf Oil Spill, Keep the press away from the real disaster and ignore legitimate complaints and declare it a job well done. Obama will show up every once in a while for photo ops and the press will say progress is being made while people are in a dire situation in the Boroughs (3) Hurricanes are messy and the clean-up are hard but when idiots are in charge only makes thing more difficult.
- 1. http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2012/11/03/obama-refuses-answer-storm-victims-frustrations/
- 2. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/3/obama-gets-briefing-storm-recovery/
- 3. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queens-residents-arm-looters-article-1.1196031
- 4. http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/nov/3/jindal-dont-let-politics-get-way-recovery-efforts/
- 5. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/02/FEMA-Still-Doesn-t-Have-Bottled-Water-to-Distribute-Finally-Places-Large-Order-Today-for-Delivery-Monday
- 6. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/02/FEMA-Still-Doesn-t-Have-Bottled-Water-to-Distribute-Finally-Places-Large-Order-Today-for-Delivery-Monday