By Peggy Ryan, guest writer
Shhh! Listen and you’ll hear the refrains of Obamacare echoing through the halls of Congress. It’s a trade bill instead of healthcare, backed by Republicans as well as Democrats, but at its core the bills are remarkably similar. Like Obamacare, the Trade bill is obscure (113 pages filled with caveats and reservations), it is secret and being hustled through Congress at breakneck speed to avoid scrutiny.
The 2014 election provided a mandate that Congress is choosing to ignore. It’s clear the American people reject the Obama agenda yet McConnell and Boehner are tripping over themselves to pass every bill Obama puts forth. They fought conservatives to fund Obamacare, fund illegal immigration and amnesty, increase the debt ceiling and help Obama obtain everything he wants.
Now its Obama’s fast track trade bill. The Republican leadership pushed hard for this bill and thought they had the votes. But on Friday, June 12th it was the Democrats who voted down the Trade Adjustment Assistance bill. Without that bill, the package can’t go to the President so the trade bill is dead. For now.
I say for now because Obama forces never stop just because they have experienced a loss. Pelosi has already said those brave Democrats who voted against their President can be bought with a highway bill. And the Republican leadership is working overtime to convince rogue members to change their votes. Obama supporters argue in favor of the “good” parts of this bill just as they did with Obamacare. But the ObamaCare fiasco taught us to be terrified of those bad parts we have yet to see.
But whatever the reasons of Obamatrade supporters to pass this bill, they don’t outweigh the reasons to defeat it. And among those reasons are the following:
1) It’s a secret. Didn’t we learn anything from Obamacare, from the millions who got pink slips and from the infringements on Constitutional protections that only surfaced once the law passed?
2) Like Obamacare, there are those working to alert the American people as to what’s actually in this bill. And, like Obamacare, Obamatrade backers are trying to push the bill through before those nasty facts leak out.
3) That the bill originated with Barack Obama should be enough to make it DOA. Passage is like giving a pedophile keys to the school yard. You don’t have to know the details of their plan to know their intent.
4) The “act now” mentality on Capitol Hill is disturbing. Congress is behaving like a used-car salesman who won’t let you leave the lot without a deal. This isn’t the end of all trade bills, it isn’t the end of free trade so why the hysteria?
5) This bill provides Obama with dramatically increased trade powers. In 2014, the American people voted to stop Obama, to end the Obama agenda, not support it.
Yet congressional leaders barter, trade, threaten and blackmail their members to pass this bill. They’ve won this fight in the Senate but that’s not the end. The Framers of the Constitution created a bicameral Congress, two houses so one can block the excesses of the other. The Constitution requires approval of both chambers to pass legislation so one would think America would be safe from tyranny. One would be wrong.
The Senate is already lost. Whether its majority leader is Harry Reid or Mitch McConnell, the results are the same–they support Obama at every turn. And there are enough bought-and-paid-for Republicans to give this travesty an air of legitimacy. Lindsey Graham, John McCain and Mitch McConnell are just a few of those who consistently fight on the side of Obama and the Democrats.
So we turn to the House, the chamber designed to more closely reflect the will of the people. Yes, there are political prostitutes in the House as well, (see Kevin McCarthy), but there are also people who care, who want to do the right thing. It’s to those individuals that I appeal. Take a stand, don’t let them steal your vote. There are approximately 700,000 people in your district who picked you to represent them, who chose you to do the right thing.
The American people don’t want this bill, don’t want another Obamacare indelibly signed into law. Take a chance on the people; they are far more knowledgeable about these issues than you think. Trust them, they’re your people. Reject Boehner, block Obamatrade and do it now. In the words of Hillel the Elder:
“If not now, when? If not you, who?”